Best of Austin 2016
Place to Catch a UM Game
Blackfinn Pub – for Austin ‘Canes gamewatches!
- Book People
- Half-Price Books
- South Congress Books
- Blanton Museum
- Harry Ransom Center
- Bob Bullock Texas Museum
- LBJ Library
- State Capitol
- Austin History Center
- The Contemporary Austin art museum
- East Austin Studio Tour (fall)
- West Austin Studio Tour (spring)
- HOPE Outdoor Gallery
- Cathedral of Junk
- Bat watching at Congress Avenue bridge
- Master Pancake at Alamo Drafthouse
- The Oasis at Lake Travis (for sunsets)
- Lucy in Disguise costume store
- Weird Homes Tour
- Chicken Sh*t Bingo at Ginny’s Little Longhorn
- Eeyore’s Birthday Party
- O’Henry Pun Off
Neighborhoods to Live in (for a newcomer)
- Northwest hills
- Anywhere Central
- South Austin
Place to Get a Haircut
- Bird’s Barbership
- Avant Salon
Places to Meet People
- Austin Canes gamewatches and events
- Running or cycling clubs
Place for Families
- Ladybird Lake (formerly known as “Town Lake”)
- Peter Pan mini-golf
- Many public pools (https://austintexas.gov/pools)
- Round Rock Express minor league baseball
- The Thinkery Children’s Museum
Parks and Outdoor Spaces
- Zilker Park
- Anderson Mill Limited District Parks
- Auditorium Shores
- Mt. Bonnell
- Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Barton Springs Pool
- Ladybird Lake Hike & Bike Trail
- Lake Travis
- Hamilton Pool
Music, Film, Theatre
- Austin City Limits (ACL) festival
- Blues on the Green
- Fun Fun Fun Fest
- Unplugged at the Grove
- Music Under the Star at the Bullock museum
- Austin Symphony concerts in the park
- Austin Film Festival
- Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-in
- Alamo Drafthouse (several locations)
- Paramount Summer Film Series
- Long Center Sound & Cinema (outdoor movies with live music)
- Zilker Hillside Theater
- Zach Scott Theater
- Hyde Park Theater (esp Frontera Fest)
- And many, many more….
- South Congress
- Toy Joy
- Vintage stores everywhere!
Austin has a great craft beer scene, with about 30 local craft breweries.
- Rainey Street
- East Side
- South Congress
- West 6th Street
- Rock Rose in The Domain
- Genuine Joe’s
- Radio Coffee
- Monkey Nest
- Home Slice
- Little Deli
- Pinthouse Pizza
Austin has so many great restaurants, with new ones popping up all the time! Check these lists:
A few favorites from the Austin Canes board: Gusto, Buenos Aires Café, Austin Land & Cattle, Barley Swine, Launderette, Fonda San Miguel, Odd Duck, Olamaie, Komé, Elizabeth St. Café, Titaya’s, Michi Ramen, Café Josie, Vespaio
- All Star Burger
- P. Terry’s
- Pollo Tropical
- Mambo House
Insider Tips for Living in Austin
Traffic is heavy, especially at rush hour. Avoid IH-35 whenever possible.
Guadalupe St is pronounced “Guad-a-loop”. And the section by UT is known as “The Drag”.
Manchaca St is pronounced “Man-chack”
Food trucks are everywhere, with all kinds of cuisines. Try them!
Hwy 183 is called Research Blvd in North Austin and Ed Bluestein Blvd in East Austin
RM 2222 is called Northland Drive, Allandale Road, and Koenig Lane, depending on where you are.
Loop1 is also called Mopac.
Loop360 is also called Capital of Texas Highway
It’s very hot in the summer. Stay hydrated and endure it.
The North-South streets downtown are named for Texas rivers.
They are laid out in the same order as the rivers appear on a map, from Red River to Rio Grande.
Barton Springs Pool is a natural spring-fed pool. Water temperature is a constant 68-degrees year round.
Austin was originally named “Waterloo”. The city was renamed “Austin” in 1839, in honor of Stephen F. Austin, the “Father of Texas”
The UT Tower is lit up in burnt orange when a UT team wins. 1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats live under the Congress Avenue bridge. The largest urban bat colony in North America. They fly out at sunset from about April to October. On a good night, it’s a spectacular sight.
For many more recommendations and information, see: